Re: looking for a file format for time series data other software can easily consume

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:33:36PM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
> I plan to produce some time series data and i would like it to be in a
> form that makes it easy or effortless for pre-existing programs to
> plot or even process further.
>
> The data would consist of a few hundred to a few thousand time points,
> and for each time point there would be a half-dozen to a dozen values.
>
> So conceptually it would be something like a csv file with a few
> hundred to a few thousand rows, and a half-dozen to a dozen columns.
>
> However, a csv file doesn't seem exactly right, as i would like the
> files to include some embedded metadata (ideally in some form that at
> least in principle could be digested by another program).  I suppose i
> could have some comment lines somehow, but that feels pretty ad hoc.
> But maybe i'm being overly fastidious.
>
> Something like a RIFF file format (like WAVE) might be better, but not
> sure what it would be.
>
> For the plotting or processing software i'd want to use something like
> octave or python/matplotlib or a derivative.
>
> I googled around for time series file formats, and i didn't see
> exactly what i was looking for.
>
> So i'd appreciate any advice or suggestions, and thanks in advance!
>
> dan

Hello,
you should look at HDF(5).
https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/

There exist free and open libraries (in debian repositories) to access HDF
files. There is a python binding wich makes it easy to integrate into
scipy/mathplotlib.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com