Re: new ssd in dell optiplex 745, won't even load grub

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 02:31:36PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I've partitioned and formatted this 64GB SSD, copied everything from both
> working partitions of a 2TB drive to it, filling it up to a whopping
> 18%, edited the SSD's version of /etc/fstab to use the proper blkid's to
> mount it including swap, and edited /boot/grub/device.map to point at
> the /dev/disk/by-id description/identifier of the drive.  And set the
> first partitions boot flag.
>
> But pull the 2TB, and plug its cables into the SSD, and grub is not
>
> What did I miss?

When swapping boot devices, after I have done transferring the data and
while it is still plugged in as a secondary device, I do the following:

- Mount the new device somewhere (like /mnt)
- Mount the proc, devpts, and sysfs into /mnt
- Chroot into /mnt
- Run update-grub

After that, I shut everything down, remove the original drive, put the
replacement in as primary and everything works.

I just went through this a couple of months ago to replace a failing
drive in my laptop.

Regards,

-Roberto

--