Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On 2017-10-25, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 09:18:36AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> >Might be "man resolv.conf".
>>
>> Can't be, that man page clearly says:
>>
>>       search Search list for host-name lookup.
>
> [...]
>
>> It certainly doesn't say anything about putting "host" or "dns" or
>> "nameserver" in that line.
>
> Unless your domain name is "host" or "dns", that is. But then you're
> asking for it, I guess :-)
>
> (Don't chuckle. A company I was working at did set its internal "top
> level domain" to "local". Much hilarity with zeroconf [1] ensued).

We did have the person here who host-named his machine localhost, which
may blunt the hilarity somewhat as it does the surprise, the former
often depending on a dose of the latter.

--
"A simpering Bambi narcissist and a thieving, fanatical Albanian dwarf."
Christopher Hitchens, commenting shortly after the nearly concurrent deaths