Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 09:17:11AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > Can anyone point out what it is that I am missing here?
>
> Not 'missing', you probably have the package resolvconf installed, and
> with your network configuration, you don't need it. It's not certain,
> but it seems to be the culprit in most of these cases. There is
> undoubtedly a way to beat it into submission, but it's not widely
> known. There was another recent thread on this matter.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that.  I do not have resolvconf installed:

debian:/etc# apt-cache policy resolvconf
resolvconf:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.79
  Version table:
     1.79 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org:3142/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

> If you're bringing up and taking down random interfaces, such as VPN
> tunnels and wifi, then you do want to keep shifting your DNS server, so
> resolvconf is appropriate on a laptop, but probably not on a fixed
> workstation.

I agree.  I make sure to only install resolvconf on my laptops since
those are the only machines I have that move from one network to
another.

Regards,

-Roberto

--