Re: What happen if I start following stable after upgrading to unstable?

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Mostafa Shahverdy <mostafa@mostafa.info> wrote:
> Few while ago I tried upgrading to unstable and I could update all my packages
> successfully. Now I'm going to use stable version. I am following only
> stable repository and each time I hit `apt-get dist-upgrade` it
> successfully upgrades few packages.
>
> Is this a safe way to stick with stable?

If your idea is to eventually track stable if and when buster becomes
stable, then your approach is fine.

One side note: If you put "stable" in /etc/apt/sources.list, apt will
try to "upgrade" the packages to whatever is the current stable
version. Currently that is Stretch and it will be buster after the
next release etc., If you put "buster" in /etc/apt/sources.list, apt
will try to track the buster release irrespective of whether it is
currently stable or testing.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog