cannot install libsnmp-dev in stretch, wondering about reasonable next steps

I'm trying to install libsnmp-dev in stretch (debian 9) using the command
   sudo apt-get install libsnmp-dev

This results in an error:
----------
or been moved out of Incoming.

 udev : Breaks: systemd (< 232-20) but 232-14 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held packages.
----------

First, i'm not even sure of the interpretation of the error.  Does it
mean my systemd version is too large?  Does it mean my systemd version
is too small?  Note that 'systemd --version' returns 232 on my system,
without any extra info that i can see, so it's hard for me to even do
some sanity checking.

So i would like to understand what the error means, and then, what
would be a reasonable course of action to take.  (E.g., updating
systemd?  Compiling libsnmp-dev by hand and installing in /usr/local?
Filing a bug report somewhere?)

Thanks in advance for any clues.

dan