Re: Blank screen bug

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 14:17 -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I had this exact same problem with Jessie on an HP ProBook 650.  The bug
> > was in X.org and was fixed when I upgraded to Stretch.  The problem, as
> > I recall, was that certain display hardware inverts the sense of the
> > intensity, so that instead of it going from 0 (dark) to max (bright) it
> > goes from 0 (bright) to max (dark).  X.org sets the display brightness
> > to what it thinks is max on the log in screen to compensate for the
> > possibility that was turned all the way down by a previous user.
> >
> > What I found as a "workaround" was that I could log in as normal and
> > then by using the brightness control function keys I could increase the
> > display brightness after logging in.
> >

> Just confirming that apparently I had this same issue with jessie 8.4 on
> Dell hardware.
> The problem only occurred if a second monitor was connected prior to boot.
> Only the
> second monitor's brightness was dialed-up at boot, the primary (laptop)
> screen would
> be dialed down to 0 brightness. Unfortunately the login prompt was on the
> laptop screen.
> Simply dialing-up the brightness was the fix, but it took me a while to
> realize it.

I experience this bug in jessie as well. However, that bug got fixed in
stretch. The bug I'm now facing is random (short) periods of a

On Sun, 2017-10-08 at 04:05 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Can you see the position of the screens?  Maybe install package "aranr",
> it's a small GUI to setup the screens.

I will try this, although I'm not exactly sure how this would help as
90% of the time the screen display works fine.

By now I also have a bit more experience with switching to a virtual
console when this occurs, but alas, this doesn't seem to influence the
blank screen in any way.

Cheers,
Tim