Re: Many executables across Debian's archives share basenames

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 08:56:08AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 08:52:49AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > Now "import" is quite another kettle of fish: it's part of the
> > ImageMagick suite (not much to do with X, actually), which has the
> > (questionable) tradition of calling its things "display", "convert",
> > "identify", "compare"... or even "conjure"). Now ImageMagick is so
> > useful that people seem to tolerate it, but a prefix (e.g. "im-")
> > or a super-command ("im") would be more modern, yes.
>
> ImageMagick only gets away with it because of its age and ubiquity.
> It's grandfathered in.

Ah yes, I mixed that up - it's ImageMagick, not X.

ImageMagick needs a patch to fix this!  There is a new, not
particularly shiny but rather effective hierarchical naming Buddha
path which must be followed for our collective command namespace
sanity.

Could even be done by wrapper script of course... hmmm

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 04:30:19PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 06:06:33PM +0400, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > Hello,
> >⋅
> > On 06/10/17 17:24, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>⋅
> [...]
>⋅
> > We can also add the prefix im- to each executable.
> > For instance, the tools coming with the nauty package are
> > prefixed with nauty-
> > to avoid name collision.
>
> Yes, but all this schemes would kill existing scripts (that's why I
> mentioned pitchforks ;-)
>
> Stefan's approach would have at least the advantage that one could
> skirt the problem by augmenting $PATH (unless the scripts call the
> ImageMagick binaries with full path).
>
> I don't think a distro would want to do that. I'd think these
> horses left the barn long time ago.

Bah ... just have a package install option "namespace" and those who
don't want it don't choose it.

There comes a time in every distro's life when it must grab itself by
its bootlaces, lift itself into the sky of namespace serenity and
float off into nirvana with just a little monkey magic.

A patch a day keeps the pitchforks at bay :)

At least now that I know it's im, and not x, I can give it my royal
boot yo!

 <‼‼MWWAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA‼‼>