Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Thursday 05 October 2017 22:56:33 David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 04 Oct 2017 at 21:56:13 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Because I have a "plastic" router with a server for DHCP but not
> > > DNS.

> > > But why would I buy a wireless router that you don't trust enough
> > > to have its wireless turned on?
> >
> > A, I don't have it bridged to my network, so the wifi in the buffalo
> > can't get into me, only to the internet but that hasn't stopped an
> > enterprising neighbor from achieving a wpsk login and watching 80
> > gigs of whatever a month, so the radio remains turned off until one
> > of my boys drives in from Nebraska or Kansas, and wants his
> > smartphone to be able to access his email or whatever.  Thats just
> > common sense. Security, and universal access for critter phones do
> > not seem to play in the same arena. So the ultimate defense is the
> > wifi's power switch.
>
> I don't know what wpsk is.

Probably a typu. Whatever, I had setup a passphrase that was the first
chapter of a novel, and their gear had zero trouble kicking in the door

> Here I use WPA2-PSK(AES) which seems
> to be secure enough. Our household couldn't function without
> wifi which is why we bought a wifi router.
>
> > I assume that same neighbor found the radio in an r-pi-3b thats been
> > running one of my cnc'd lathes for about 8 months, got a local
> > address from the dd-wrt dhcpd server, and which a jessie install
> > enabled w/o asking me, but that traffic I can see on the gkrellm
> > tallies, so that got powered down the next day.
> >
> > And B,C,D,E & F: security.
>
> I have no idea what that radio would be running. When I typed the
> above into google, the one project I looked at was only running
> WPA-PSK(TKIP). That's hackable, isn't it?

From my experience, yes.

> > > If we spend money here, it'll be for a repeater and/or more
> > > homeplug-style devices.
> >
> > A wifi repeater?  You can drive an 88,000 lb load of cold swinging
> > beef thru that security hole.  Homeplug-style I assume is some sort
> > of a powerline carried network?, x10 on an overdose of bandwidth
> > steroids? Explain plz if you've the time.
>
> Until recently, our house was serviced by two meters: the new one
> which comes underground to the new part, the old one which came
> overhead from the easement (where you'd normally expect a back alley)
> from a different street. The router sat in the old part (where the
> Cox cable comes in from the same pole as the old overhead power),
> and we used it from the new part, with very low signal strengths.
>
> Now we've connected the giant cable between the two breaker boxes
> and removed the old meter, we can use Powerline 1200s to link the
> modem (old part) to router (new part, where we are). Once we've
> remodelled the old part and start using it more, we could use
> more Powerlines¹ for static things like TV, but will probably
> need wifi there as well.
>
> One advantage of Powerlines is that they aren't bothered by
> microwaves which knock out nearby 2GHz devices.

As in cooking microwaves? If its leaking that badly, have it serviced by
someone with a leakage measuring apparatus. Or replace it. That level of
leakage is sick bird on this side of the pond. I've checked and
rechecked the $100, 1kw model I got from wallies to take on the road
when I was out doing consultancy things after I retired for a few years,
in my kitchen now and can't find it with that meter. 15+ years old now,
I've had to replace some of the interlock microswitches, but 30 seconds
for a cuppa is still too hot. Sagging doors are the usual suspects.

Here we have to leak test our broadcast transmitters and be able to
certify they have a leakage field that is less than 5 milliwatts per CC
of human flesh exposed or we cannot renew our license.  Thats actually
an easily detected level but must be measured with an omni-directional
antenna.  Only one such device is available, and they rent it to us at
$275/day.

Yeah, I'm actually a retired broadcast engineer.  What used to be a 1st
phone, and CET cards in my card case. ;-)

I recall having to send the meter on to another tv station about 110
miles south of us after I'd logged the measurements from our 50+ yo 35KW
GE box, and he was curious and had it running when he walked into the
stations lunch room while someone was warming their dinner, and it
pegged the meter while still 6 feet away. Needless to say, the vending
company it belonged to was onsite in about an hour with a new one, which
had zero leakage.

> 5GHz isn't
> bothered by the microwaves, but this part of the house seems
> rather solidly built and I'm disappointed by the 5GHz performance
> here compared with our previous house. By the time we've wrecked
> the inside of the old part, the more open layout (the "reception
> rooms" in UK parlance) might suit 5GHz a bit better.

Construction materials generally make good dummy loads at 5GHz. :)
Drywall and rock rubble walls seem to absorb it well.  One friend of
mine on the left coast lives in a 300 yo Spanish Hacienda that covers
most of a city block, with interior stone walls a couple feet thick has
had to wear out some diamond bits getting cat5 here and there.  So yes,
I'd expect you'll need repeaters.

> ¹We'll have to change the whole topology of course, because at the
> moment the pair of Powerlines are carrying the (unshareable) WAN
> side of the router rather than the LAN side.

Its an endless process, David. Have fun!

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)