link 33:33:00:00:00:fb

inet 224.0.0.251

inet 224.0.0.1

inet6 ff02::fb

inet6 ff02::1:ff62:fcbb

inet6 ff02::202

inet6 ff02::1

inet6 ff01::1

But add - -r so its supposed to show names, and get:

2: eth0

link 01:00:5e:00:00:01

link 33:33:00:00:02:02

link 33:33:00:00:00:01

link 01:00:5e:00:00:fb

link 33:33:ff:62:fc:bb

link 33:33:00:00:00:fb

inet (5 second pause) 224.0.0.251

inet all-systems.mcast.net

inet6 ff02::fb

inet6 ff02::1:ff62:fcbb

inet6 ff02::202

inet6 ip6-allnodes

inet6 ff01::1

Which, according to the manpage and my interpretation, should resolv the names those 6 (mac?) addresses belong to. So while its seemingly working at the net hardwares speed, I think its telling me I am miss-configured somehow. There are not any ipv6 addresses in the hosts file that would translate to the same name as the machines given name. I tried that several years ago and it caused errors at the time.

This is an all static local network, with dns provided by everything here pointed at the router for nameservice that's not in the hosts file, running dnsmasq, which in turn forwards any dns lookups it doesn't have the answer to cached, to my ISP's servers.

Shouldn't the -r version show FQDN's? And why is it not?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)