Re: How to use zram ?

On Thursday 28 September 2017 10:37:19 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:09:27AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 September 2017 09:58:39 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I do have the kernel module, but not the zramctl. One is not useful
> > w/o the other. But I learned something from this thread. Thanks.
>
>   tomas@rasputin:~$ apt-file search zramctl
>   manpages-de: /usr/share/man/de/man8/zramctl.8.gz
>   util-linux: /sbin/zramctl
Not in the x86 wheezy's util-linux, nor as separate package.
>   util-linux: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/zramctl
>   util-linux: /usr/share/man/man8/zramctl.8.gz
>
> Remember Stacker? (this one is actually smarter, because when it *has*
> to swap, the already compressed stuff gets swapped out, reducing I/O).

Yes, not fondly though, it was NOT a stable utility.

This sounds handy on a memory starved machine. And at 8GB in this
machine, I'm still using swap, with a 13 hour uptime, 22megs almost as
soon as I'd rebooted, and still 22. Which I don't fully grok, htop says
22 megs used for swap, and only about 60% of that 8GB in use. 2258M for
actual programs. Linux's memory management does not impress me, I have a
couple machines with only 2GB of ram that can do what this box is doing,
albeit slower because they are, and I really have to push then hard to
make them use any swap. Only the pi-3b with only 1 GB is into swap, but
I've moved its swap out of the sd to rotating media and its much better
behaved, and feels faster at 5 megs into swap than it ever was using the
32GB sd card for swap. Well worth the $50 for a 1/4" thick seagate
terrabyte with a usb-2 cable sticking out of it.

Now wallies has it with a usb-3 cable, I've put one on the rock64, and
with 2+ days uptime it hasn't touched its 8GB of rotating swap. But its
also not yet running x, having locale problems that apt and dpkg can't
fix.

root@rock64:~# dpkg-reconfigure locale
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
dpkg-query: package 'locale' is not installed and no information is
available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locale is not installed
root@rock64:~# apt install locale
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package locale

And there is indeed, no /etc/locale file on the rock64 install.
locale.alias, which is missing any mention of en_US.  Puzzling.

> Cheers
> -- t

Thanks Thomas

Cheers, Gene Heskett