Re: image created by debootstrap does not work

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 04:32:34PM +0000, 慕 冬亮 wrote:

> On 09/22/2017 04:02 PM, Reco wrote:
> > <[🔎] DM5PR12MB190060F6A3633E658F56D98FBC670@DM5PR12MB1900.namprd12.prod.outlook.com>
> >
> >      Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 07:07:28PM +0000, 慕 冬亮 wrote:
> >> qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-1-amd64 -hda
> >> qemu-stretch.img -append "root=/dev/sda1 single"
> One small problem I have modified, sda1 => sda.
> There is no any partition in image file.
> >>
> >> However, the result shows that "VFS: unable to mount root fs".
> > And that's exactly how it should be. I'm not sure about jessie's kernel,
> > but stretch one has ext support built as a module (CONFIG_EXT4_FS=m).
> >
> > Meaning - if you want to boot from ext2/ext4 filesystem you'll need
> > initrd. This qemu invocation does not supply one.
> I tried the following command, that uses the default initrd in /boot,
> but dead loop "floopy error -5 while reading block 0"
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-1-amd64 -initrd
> /boot/initrd.img-4.12.0-1-amd64 -hda qemu-stretch.img -append
> "root=/dev/sda single"

There is other thread at this mailllist that also shows some curious
breakage of stock Debian initrd if it's forced to boot from
non-partitioned drive.

My gut feeling is you can not force it to work unless you rebuild
initrd.

> >> I learn the method from the following website:
> >>
> >> https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2017/01/16/setting-up-qemu-kvm-for-kernel-development/
> > I'm genuinely surprised that such method worked for them.
> I have learned how to use busybox as basic environment.
> Is that any tutorial to show how to make debian debootstrap image as
> basic environment?

apt-get install vmdebootstrap

man vmdebootstrap -- search for SYNOPSIS

Reco