Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Mon 25 Sep 2017 at 17:32:28 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:33:50AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > For me, its a root session, and a "chattr +i resolv.conf"
> > > If for some reason you need to edit it later, you'll have to use the
> > > -i argument first. As long as that +i bit is set, its protected from
> > > everything but a mke2fs.
>
> Unforch, this isn't /root stuffs, but /etc stuffs.  And it works. And I
> could care less how disappointed n-m or dhcpd is.  Or even resolvconf
> itself. Particularly when its as buggy as a 10 day old road kill in
> August.
>
> Yes, there is a place for dhcp, but its for sure not on a home, small
> number of machines network thats all static.

I don't recognise this as a very frequent use case nowadays, with
so many laptops etc. So for simplicity, I configure my laptops and
desktops alike, with wicd, dhcp and resolvconf. I put hostnames, MACs,
and static nameservers' addresses into the "cheap plastic
consumer-grade router" (which has no DNS server) because that doesn't
travel anywhere, and /etc/hosts looks after LAN addresses. And if I
want to do fast bulk transfers between machines in the same room,
I connect a cat5 cable and use the IPv6 addresses to avoid disturbing
the normal networking through the router.

Cheers,
David.