Re: dd to clone a drive

Le 26/09/2017 à 15:57, Jack Dangler a écrit :
I have an existing drive near EOL (judging from the sounds). I got a replacement drive for it (same size).

I plugged the replacement into a USB port and started a byte-for-byte copy with

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc

dd is not the best tool to copy a failing disk. Other tools such as ddrescue and dcfldd have useful features to deal with flaky sectors.

Also, you are not doing this while any filesystem or anything on the disk is mounted or in use, are you ? Otherwise the copy could be in an inconsistent state.