Re: in /etc/network/interfaces: "auto" vs "allow-hotplug"

On Monday 25 September 2017 11:47:36 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:40:12AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 25 September 2017 09:00:51 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > An interface marked "auto" will be waited-for by services that are
> > > configured to wait for interfaces to be up.  E.g. mounting NFS
> > > file systems, or starting an NFS server.
> > >
> > > An interface marked "allow-hotplug" is considered nonessential or
> > > transient, and the core OS services won't wait for it before
> > > starting.
> >
> > Thank you Greg. Its not possible to check that because a new minimal
> > stretch install for an arm64 has no man command.  If the man page
> > can be found, zmore can read it but thats such an eyeball assault
> > you lose track of what it was you wanted to check.
>
> It's not in the man pages anyway.  It's the sort of thing you either
> find out the hard way, or because someone tells you.
>
> Also, there's http://manpages.debian.org/interfaces
>
> In fact, the man page outright *lies* and says they're synonyms.

No way in hell I'd call them that.

> Didn't notice that until just now.

Do I smell a manpage update for stretch? This is stuff that truly NEEDS
to be in the manpages instead of pestering all the forums and IRC lists
on the planet and still not getting a meaningful answer that works
because everyone is looking at the same, and WRONG manpage.

We scooped that stuff up out of the trench behind the bovines in the
cowbarn, daily. Or did 78 years ago when I was a child on an Iowa, USA
farm.

Thanks again Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)