Re: Blank screen bug

On 9/23/17, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 12:01:31PM +0200, Tim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to report a bug for Debian stretch, however, I'm not sure
>> which package I should file the bug against. Moreover, I haven't found
>> a way to debug the issue either.
>>
>> I've recently done a fresh installed of stretch on an HP EliteBook 840
>> notebook. Since then, the laptop's screen sometimes turns blank, i.e.,
>> as if there is no input to the screen. Strangely enough, whenever I
>> attach another display, the other display doesn't go blank: It's only
>> the internal display of the laptop itself that turns completely black.
>>
>> I've tried to debug the issue by looking a various log files (e.g.,
>> ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, /var/log/kern.log, running
>> `journalctl`), but nothing would show up in these logs whenever it
>> occurs. I also tried to install `firmware-linux-nonfree` but that
>> didn't help either. Before, I was using jessy without the bug.
>>
>> I hope you can tell me which package I should file the bug to, or how
>> to proceed from here.
>>
> I had this exact same problem with Jessie on an HP ProBook 650.  The bug
> was in X.org and was fixed when I upgraded to Stretch.  The problem, as
> I recall, was that certain display hardware inverts the sense of the
> intensity, so that instead of it going from 0 (dark) to max (bright) it
> goes from 0 (bright) to max (dark).  X.org sets the display brightness
> to what it thinks is max on the log in screen to compensate for the
> possibility that was turned all the way down by a previous user.
>
> What I found as a "workaround" was that I could log in as normal and
> then by using the brightness control function keys I could increase the
> display brightness after logging in.
>
> I am not sure if the problem is that X.org needs to be told which
> hardware inverts the meaning of the brightness control value, but I
> suspect that is root cause.
>
> I apologize that I don't have any links, but it has been several years
> since I dealt with this problem.  Perhaps this is enough to get you
> pointed in the right direction.

Based on both of your posts, I took a quick peek at "apt-listbugs list
-s all xorg"..

#778573 xorg: Xorg shows blank black screen at startup instead of a
Display Manager.

That references....

#775012 nvidia-driver: startx initializes nvidia driver but kdm does not

May not be exact same thing, especially since they're speaking of boot
and this thread sounds like it snaps off mid successful usage. But
maybe you all have come up with something no one thought of or
possibly even knew was possible.... or not. You never know. :)

Me? Never would have thought about manufacturers reversing how things
work. That's a very not user friendly twist on proprietary....... :)

A PS is that one poster got fussed at for allegedly hijacking a bug
report, was told to file their own report. It kind of sounded like the
"hijacker" was attempting to support, confirm the existence of the bug
by supplying their own experience so... I guess this is just a heads
up that this occurred in that arena.

Maybe there was prior history as to why that exchange occurred. One
last peek at it shows it didn't follow normal list rules, and that
made it harder to follow the intent. They did sound like they
encountered the bootup blank screen, did some manipulating, and got
something to work, although still not quite as expected. :)

Couldn't help it, looked one more allegedly "last time"... The reason
the comment didn't follow protocol was because it was entered via
*reportbug*. It wasn't the fault of the alleged "hijacker" that there
was no previous quote to follow in their post.

The alleged "hijacker" found a bug that matched theirs so they did as
would be expected per reportbug methodology. They simply addended
their experience to a bug subject line that matched their
experience... and then got "blessed" for doing so. I genuinely hate
when that happens... because that sounds exactly like something I
would do under the same circumstances. :)

Cindy
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Geraldine Laverne, did you ever feed your goldfish the other day? *