Re: Towards a customized netinst

Thomas Schmitt's post of 09/21/2017 09:47 AM prompted me to rephrase my initial post of this sub-thread.

My initial goal is a "thingy" which a human at a terminal would not notice any operational difference from netinst.iso on a CD.
This "thingy" would:
  1. *NOT* have any internal assumption of being ISO9660 compliant.
     1a. be recognizable and boot-able by Grub2.
       {Re-reading <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD>
        after reading
< http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/MANIFEST>
        suggested at least one reason I could not boot the resulting
        partition - I needed an appropriate set of initrd/vmlinuz.

        Browsing some Wiki pages indicates I need to read MORE about the
        boot process and os-prober.}
  2. intrinsically assume it will be resident on an ext2 device.

I had been attempting to follow the pattern of "Debian-Installer: How to modify an existing CD image - Create copy of the image" <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD#Create_copy_of_the_image> .

Using "tar" instead of "bsdtar" giving an error message that "This does not look like a tar archive" was motivation to use xorriso. As Thomas Schmitt has pointed out, there are other means. Using it is a better map to to my mental image while preventing my mental image clashing to badly with reality.