Re: Installing the installer (don't read if you are eating a meal)

From: scdbackup@gmx.net
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hi,

Fungi4All wrote:
> "refracta" [...] The most fascinating piece of software
> or should I say family of sftw. since the time of space invaders.

Can it boot a Debian installation ISO from a disk partition and let
it behave as if it had booted directly from a whole disk ?

As far as I can tell it can make any installation into an iso and the iso
can install whatever you configure the live into a partition.  Then there
is a third newer hybrid that I still have not tried myself which I think you
can manipulate your live system in whatever way and it can create
a bootable usb stick from that configuration.  Now if I ask back why
"you" would want to boot an iso from a partition may induce an
endless loop with richard O. as the question of the meaning of life.
So I will refrain from inducing such a loop.

After a couple of runs I don't want to hear of another backup system
of the system, or funky scripts for making a live system, or anything
relative.  It does have a limitation as to the size of the system you are
making a live, which I understand is an internal restriction of the
ISO9660 for what size can an iso be.

> What is also absurd is that Thomas is involved in this conversation
> while refracta is heavily relying on xorisso.

They must be doing this behind my back. :))

At least now you know ;)
It is very secretive too, it says xorisso all over the place half way before
it is done running.  Then the boring time of packing it all in a small image
begins, which is the other half.

All this study of how live systems work and how live images can be
built, and how a live system can be installed as a system in a partition,
all down the drain.  Just click on refracta and you don't have to know
any of the above.

So my short answer to the question is why would you ever ask such
a question when YOU KNOW there exists a thing as REfracta.

Now I have to go back to hard work making my own desitribution
called Chevy-Corvair-Linux or CCL.  It is simple, just use refracta.
It includes my own version of systemd.  You click on it and this
live image of Debian Wheezy comes up with a steamy stack of
smelly turd on top of it.  And the steam turns into a "feature".

I apologize if you were eating lunch or dinner and I mentioned
systemd.

Have a splendid day,
Rust-fungus never sleeps