Re: intel-microcode (was Stretch and i3-7300T)

On 19/09/17 19:02, solitone wrote:
what about intel-microcode that I've just installed? Can I expect some performance related benefit?

I gather that microcode updates are usually issued to fix errata in the CPU's design [1], and without the intel-microcode package installed an older version of the microcode would be loaded from BIOS/UEFI in the CPU at boot time [2].

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4b4hzx/is_it_worth_installing_the_nonfree_firmware_for/d15zctc/ [2] https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4b4hzx/is_it_worth_installing_the_nonfree_firmware_for/d15zljn/

So the point is not performance, but bug fixing, and it seems reasonable to install that package.