Re: apt problem

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 03:45:07PM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
>> What do I do next?
>
> Basic steps.  Give details.
>
> What version of Debian is it?  On what architecture?

Jessie. amd64.

> What does "dpkg -l expect" say?

Now?

||/ Name                            Version              Architecture
       Description
+++-===============================-====================-====================-====================================================================
iU  expect                          5.45-6               amd64
       Automates interactive applications

I don't remember what it said earlier.

> What did you do this morning before the problem started?

I installed tripwire. That had nothing to do with it. I reinstalled
expect with apt-get and expect works. It's apt that's the problem.

> What is the ACTUAL symptom you are seeing?  Show the command you are
> running, and its output.

./lir

Expect not found -- or something like that.

> If it's a custom expect script that you wrote,
> and it's not stupidly long, and doesn't contain secret passwords

It is, and it does. It's a script to get into a Cisco router, and it's
a lot easier to type lir than to type all the stuff the router needs.

> (which it shouldn't -- those should be stored in separate files from
> the script), then include the script.  Or at least a whittled-down
> version of the script that reproduces the problem.

The problem isn't in the expect script -- that's working now. Apt's
been saying, for a long time -- ever since I tried to install it on
Jessie -- that it couldn't config the expect package. This morning
expect quit working -- there used to be 2 things that it couldn't
configure, and I noticed that this time there was only 1. After the
reinstall, the 2 were back, but it still tried to configure them, and
failed. Expect, like I said, works fine, at least with my simple
scripts.

> Show the actual apt* commands you ran to try to fix the problem, and
> their output.

IIRC, 'apt-get remove expect' then some output (long gone) about how
it couldn't be removed because the .deb was bad and that I should
reinstall, then 'apt-get install --reinstall expect'. It still didn't
like the .deb, but expect's running again.

> Show the versions of any other packages that are related to the problem
> (tcl8.6 and so on).

None are. Just apt.

All I need to know is how to get all the Debian install software to
forget that there was ever a package called expect on this system.

--
Glenn English