Re: What is /var/cache/apt good for ? (and other Sid dist-upgrade riddles)

Hi,

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Let's say you're courageous enough to run testing or unstable

For production of anything else but Debian packages ?
That would scare me. Even Stretch scares me, given the reports of the
recent weeks.

> after filing a bug report against the broken package,
> of course, because that's WHY you are running testing or unstable in
> the first place

I have a Sid because it is required as workspace for package production.
My upstream release was announced wednesday. GUIX adopted it only hours
later. Arch and Fedora took notice too. It's time to give the courageous
Sid users my freshest bugs.

Filing a bug report to "findutils" is on my todo list. (Not that there
weren't enough bug mummies yet.)

> But hey, you're aware of the risks.

Mainly i am mistrusting. I made a backup of the virtual disk before
dist-upgrade. So the fear is well contained. After the upgrade was done
i rebooted while holding my breath. Well, ssh login still works.
Sid is broken enough on the first glimpse, so i do not expect big hidden
problems. {:)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas