mariadb uninstall/reinstall

Colleagues

I've been a loyal Debian user since (I believe) release 4.  I also use Debian as the basis for a college course I teach in C programming so the students get 'nix exposure in addition to C.  As is my custom I typically wait a few months after a new release and then convert to the new Debian.  I am just finishing the upgrade to Stretch and have run into an issue.  Somehow as part of the conversion for my LAMP server I screwed up the Maria db.  After trying to repair the installation I have decided to remove and reinstall.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find a set of instructions to safely remove Maria.  Can anyone point me to a working process (the one's on the web currently don't seem to work).  TIA

Larry