Re: getting mail from Exchange/Outlook

On qui, 14 set 2017, rhkramer wrote:
I'm sort of moving OT, but want to ask: presumably you think IMAP is
preferable to POP3--what makes you say that (in general)?

If you read your mail in more than one device, I'd say IMAP is a must. Without it it's really hard to keep track of what's been read and what not. You could set up your main computer to download and delete mails, and secondary devices to not delete, so that when you're back at the main computer they'll be downloaded. But they would appear as unread there, as there's no way of storing state with POP3.

Also, I do my mail filtering (basically moving mails from each of several mailing lists I'm subscribed to to individual folders) server-side, and any IMAP client can access all my folders and the mails in each one.

I guess if someone does not archive mails (ie, read them and delete them, possibly saving only a few important ones elsewhere), then POP3 might be viable.
--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br