Re: top that shows "Web Content" (was Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 07:39:58 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, September 08, 2017 07:59:40 PM David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, do you have a version of top (or something else) which reports the
> > > use of memory for web content?  I don't see that in top on Wheezy., but
> > > I'd like to get that number.
[snip]

> Son of a gun, this morning I looked at top and now there is a task named "Web
> Content".  That must have been part of a (recent) "security" update ;-)

AFAIK the 'Web Content' process was introduced by Mozilla when Firefox switched to a multi-process model for the browser binary - you may have seen people moaning about it: Mozilla calls it 'electrolysis/e10s' and it delivers such things as "only one tab will crash, rather than the whole browser".  I noticed the new process for the first time within the last month but wasn't sure how long it had been there ... I was trying to find out where all my RAM was going, and the sight of it made my blood run cold till I found out what it was.  I believe the ESR release channel gained the multiprocess feature with the change from release 45.x.y to release 52.x.y (Debian tracks the ESR channel), and my Wheezy systems received FF52.2.0 on 21st.August.

Nick
--
Never FDISK after midnight.