Re: Install Debian 9.1 stretch on Pentium II system: pata_hpt3x2n required?

Le 05/09/2017 à 11:34, David Max a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I am attempting to install Debian 9.1 stretch on an old Pentium II system.
>
> Setup --
>
> cpu Pentium II 400 MHz
> ram 512 MB
> video card ATI RAGE IIC AGP
> hdd #1 6.8 GB Fujitsu (with Windows installed, also a 1GB Linux swap
> partition)
> hdd #2 80 GB Seagate, attached to Highpoint 133SB Rocket Raid (PCI) card
>
> Install process goes well until the stage of searching for disks. Then
> the first disk is detected fine, but 2nd doesn't show up.
>
> If I pause the installation sequence at disk detection, driver
> pata_hpt37x is shown by lsmod. lspci shows the Highpoint card as "RAID
> bus controller HighPoint Technologies, Inc. HPT302/302N (rev 02)".
>
> As some background, Knoppix 7.2.0 installs okay on the Seagate drive but
> I seem to have broken it by upgrading some packages (and removing
> libreoffice). On boot, Knoppix complains that graphics cannot be
> initialised, I think because package xserver-xorg-video-ati has been
> unpacked but not installed (i.e., on the Knoppix hdd installation).
>
> The aim is to see if this old machine can take on a new life as a
> router. Traffic rates through it are adequate for current needs. If
> Debian install can be completed, I will switch to LXDE for the desktop
> (quite lightweight as I understand).
>
> If Debian can be installed Knoppix will be replaced but the old Windows
> install on hdd #1 will be retained.
>
> After a little research, I believe a driver pata_hpt3x2n might be required?
>
> All help gratefully received.
>
> David Max

didier@hp-dm1:~$ grep -i hpt /boot/config*
CONFIG_SCSI_HPTIOP=m
CONFIG_PATA_HPT366=m
CONFIG_PATA_HPT37X=m
# CONFIG_PATA_HPT3X2N is not set
# CONFIG_PATA_HPT3X3 is not set

It seems you have at least to declare the driver either built-in (=y) or
as a module (=m) and rebuild the kernel
(cf
https://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-building)