Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:42:20AM +1200, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 03/09/17 06:21, Tom Browder wrote:
> > I would especially appreciate other ideas for programming editors for
> > novice programmers.
>
> I use and recommend geany. And Eclipse.

+1 geany

I use geany for note taking, and when I want to print out text files
"nicely". I've also installed geany for others (3+ years happy
campers). Perfect for novice programmers.

However for Java programming, I always recommend Eclipse - as long as
you've got >= 1GiB RAM, Eclipse is fine for novices, the bees knees
for Java GUI IDEs, -and- has C and C++ support these days (besides a
zillion other languages).

I also have Eclipse installed, but for day to day coding I actually
prefer vim for two main reasons:

1) The "extreme lightweight" feel of vim (and geany for that matter
   which I alias to "n" for "n"otepad (I've changed "notepad"s a few
   times over the years, and keep the same alias of course...)) -
   opening a file always seems close to instantaneous.

2) The mindset, and consequent feeling engendered within me, from cmd
   line based edit-compile-run cycle development.

The only place I still intend to personally use Eclipse is either
developing a plugin for others to use, or developing actual GUI front
ends to software I've written (I'm confident one or both of these
will happen one day :)

Good luck,