Re: Install on hp-pavilion-g6-2100 stops at 98%

Hi,

Luis Speciale wrote:
> https://business.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-drive-for-mac-in-os-x--cms-21253

This is an ISO unpacking method. Not what is advised by Debian CD people,
but maybe valid, nevertheless.

It depends on what Mac program "hdiutil" does to represent the boot equipment
of the ISO in the new image file, and on whether the result is still similar
enough to the mounted ISO to be usuable for the software which originally
was inside the ISO.

> In some minutes I could answer your question

Possibly it happened already and i still sit in the valley of the clueless.

New mail:
> I'm asking myself if it could be a good idea to provide a program (for
> Windows and Mac OS) which could create an USB bootable Debian install.

The ISO is bootable from USB stick. In Debian it is an achievement of
year 2011. Others were a bit quicker to adopt this feature of the ISOLINUX
boot loader. (GRUB2 can do this too, see grub-mkrescue ISOs for i386/amd64.)

For MS-Windows, the debian-cd project proposes "win32diskimager".
  https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
I have read reports that "Rufus" offers a plain copy mode that is like "dd".
Avoid the offer to unpack the ISO into some other filesystem.
On MacOS, use "dd".

The problem happens much later. Maybe the USB stick plays some role.
But in general i'd expect nowadays as many successful USB stick installations
of Debian as there are via CD or DVD.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas