Re: external USB hard drive mount permissions

On 02-09-2017 09:29, Federico Beffa wrote:
> I'm using Debian Stretch with Gnome. When I plug-in an external USB
> hard drive (ext4) it gets automatically mounted at /media/beffa/label.
>

> but the device is still only writable by root.
>
> How can I tell the system to make it writable for the user owning the
> Gnome session

I don't think you can. The permissions are the permissions of the root
directory of the filesystem in the drive (which get mapped to
/media/beffa/label), and have nothing to do with the mount point.

>  or even everybody?

That's possible, just chmod 777 /media/beffa/label.

Or use a permission-less filesystem such as vfat.

--
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together ...

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br