Atril configuration saving

I find the atril pdf viewer to be the most satisfactory choice for my
needs. However, a problem is that it does not save my configuration.

More specifically, I go to its View menu and set my desired
configuration. Then I go to Edit, Save Current Settings as Default. It
has no effect, and atril  opens with other values.

I should note that I don't run any desktop environment, not Mate or any
other. None of the files in /usr/bin or in /usr/share/atril appear to
specify configuration values.  My guess is that atril would look for a
file such as /usr/share/atril/atril-config.xml or ~/.atril in which
configuration values are set.

Haines Brown