Re: USB external hard drive -- mounting

On 8/28/17, 4:07 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

I am not sure about the background automounting, but I get consistent
mount points and mount settings with entries like these in /etc/fstab:

LABEL=Backup            /media/backup   ext4
noatime,noauto,user,errors=remount-ro                       0   0
. . .
The above lines give me fixed mount points based on filesystem labels
(LABEL). . .

That got me started on an idea, even before I undertake anything with fstab. Thanks, Mr. Caradoc-Davies.

First, I was able to relabel the drive as a suitably generic "ExternalHD," and when I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it mounted (albeit still under a user-specific, auto-created mount point) as that label.

With the drive automounted, I did a "umount" on it, created a mount point for it (directly in /media, and available to everybody, for now, at least), and then did a "mount" at the new mount point. It mounted successfully in that user-neutral location, and is available to any signed-on user.

Of course, if I then unmount it, pull the plug, and plug it back in, without an fstab entry, it auto-mounts to a created mount point in the user's subdirectory of /media, but at least the mount point I created doesn't go bye-bye, so that's a start.

But I still need all the help I can get understanding this.

--
JHHL