Re: XFCE wm deadlocks on (other) console logout

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

I consistently get a deadlock of the XFCE window manager, immediately
after I logout of say Linux console 2, when e.g. XFCE is running on
console 1.

Procedure to replicate:

1. login to console 1

2. start xfce

3. switch to console 2 (e.g. CTRL+ALT+F2)

4. loging to console 2

5. logout of console 2 (e.g. CTRL+D)

I have the same issue, using very minimal system with a wm. Right now the workaround I'm using is comment out the clear_console call in ~/.bash_logout

# ~/.bash_logout: executed by bash(1) when login shell exits.

# when leaving the console clear the screen to increase privacy

if [ "$SHLVL" = 1 ]; then
/bin/true
#    [ -x /usr/bin/clear_console ] && /usr/bin/clear_console -q
fi

I'm also looking at the TTYVTDisallocate=yes line in
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service -> /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service

I haven't tried changing this, but it looks interesting. You might find more interesting things in these bug reports:

https://bugs.debian.org/805605
https://bugs.debian.org/810660
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/93164

Good Luck