Re: One-line password generator

On 2017-08-28, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> But i myself have two use cases for (pseudo-)random numbers:
> - Small but hard secrets which i need for security purposes.
> - 3 times 25 GB of random stream to surely shake up the bits on a BD-RE
>   medium which previously contained embarassing data.

Here's a fresh (20 July of this year) view by Theodore Ts'o:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/20/993

 Practically no one uses /dev/random.  It's essentially a deprecated
 interface; the primary interfaces that have been recommended for well
 over a decade is /dev/urandom, and now, getrandom(2).  We only need
 384 bits of randomness every 5 minutes to reseed the CRNG, and that's
 plenty even given the very conservative entropy estimation currently
 being used.

--
"The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions that have been hidden by the answers."
— James Baldwin