Re: xsane & tesseract

Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> writes:

> On 08/25/2017 08:31 PM, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
>
>  Hi All,
>  How do I setup xsane to use the tesseract OCR engine?
>  I see gocr under preferences->setup->ocr.
>  Yours Sincerely
>  Stephen Grant Brown.
>
> Unless it has been vastly improved, you might as well copy the document by hand! Finding and fixing all the mistakes is not worth the
> trouble!
> Abbyy for Windows does an excellent job. One of only two programs I will boot Windows for. (The other one is a phono-to-CD program.)

My experience OCRing a 16 page document with tesseract last spring was
quite good.  I didn't try to set xsane up to do it (as I thought it
would be a *long* time before I did it again), I scanned the document to
ppm files, sent them to tesseract, put the output of tesseract into a
.txt file, and cleaned up from there.  While it wasn't perfect, it was
far better than retyping the whole thing would have been.
--
"Erwin, have you seen the cat?" -- Mrs. Shrödinger