Re: Codecs and such? Like ubuntu restricted extras package?

On 25/08/17 19:20, Anonymous wrote:
> Does something like this exist in Debian? A package which
> brings in restricted extras? A repository for all these
> extras? (without trusting some vague "unofficial" maintainer)

For that matter, bear in mind that officially any package outside the
“main” section is not part of Debian. Only packages that are free
software (compliant with the DFSG) can be part of Debian. The packages
in “non-free” which is a rough equivalent of Cannonical's “restricted”
are not official part of Debian.

I discourage using proprietary codecs because you give up part of your
computing freedom. A betters solution is to request data in a format
readable with free software.

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan