Re: which display manager would you suggest for Stretch?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:33 AM,  <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, August 25, 2017 06:59:29 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, August 25, 2017 01:17:10 AM kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> > To look at a few of the famous packages in this, one has to either
>> > scroll up or pipe the output to head. With the current sorting method,
>> > you can keep eyes closer to the command line and still get all the
>> > important information.
>>
>> I'm not the op, but I'd just like to say: good thinking!
>
> Oh, on looking again, I remembered a question--what do those numbers
> represent?  When I first saw the list, in order with the higher numbers first, I
> thought maybe the numbers represented something like number of downloads, but,
> once I knew the order was in inverse order, I realized that was not the case.
>
> What do those numbers represent / where do they come from?

They are the ranks of the packages based on their popularity [1]. The
data is downloaded from http://popcon.debian.org/by_inst and cached
into ~/.cache/popsort/by_inst [2]. The cool thing with the script is
that it automatically updates the cache file if it is more than a day
old.

[1] The statistics are gathered from report sent by users of the
popularity-contest package. To participate in this, install the
popularity-contest package. Currently it receives around 200,000
submissions.

[2] - Actually, the path is determined by using
        fname = os.path.join(
            xdg.BaseDirectory.xdg_cache_home,
            'popsort', 'by_inst')
but since xdg.BaseDirectory.xdg_cache_home is set to ~/.cache by
default, it boils down to ~/.cache/popsort/by_inst .

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog