Re: DHCP server that itself gets an IP address by DHCP

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:12:07PM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> However, now, based on your response I am thinking the AirStation is
> just forwarding the DNS queries on to the nameservers it is given in
> response to its DHCP query, and not actually caching anything...

Very likely, yes.

> would a nameserver need a lot of memory / disk space? The
> machine has a 32GB SSD, of which about 15GB is free, and 4GB of RAM, of
> which according to top about 1.8GB is free...

That is plenty of memory for a caching resolver.  Luxury!

As a real-world example, <https://cr.yp.to/djbdns/dnscache.html> (which
is what I use) uses about 2 MB of RAM in a small-network configuration.
It doesn't say so on that page, but the default value of CACHESIZE is
1000000 (a million bytes).  So, figure about 1 MB plus however high you
set the CACHESIZE variable.

I can't speak for other DNS resolvers.  BIND in particular may be quite
bloated, and would not be my choice for a new setup.