Re: Question to new network device names

Hi all,

with great interest I read all your discusssions. They were very interesting
and I got a lot of informations. Thanks for it!

I still wondered, if the new naming scheme is more usable for unexperienced
users, say, someone with a notebook and often changing devices, like usb-
drives, usb-sticks, wlan-sticks, gsm-sticks, mice, keyboard and so on.

I am not sure, the kernel will recognize them after a lot of use during a
longer time.

The other thing, I thought of: If the kernel decides, which one is the first
network card, and which is the second, maybe this is not the line I want it,
maybe I want it in another line, say: first ethernet is onboard, second the 1GB
pci-card, third the pci-wireless card, fourth the usb-gsm-card.

But as I understood, the kernel telles, which one is the number 1, 2, 3 and so
on.

I am looking at the view of an ordinary user. A user, who wants to make
backups on an external drive, using unison or back-in-time. For me it is
simple, to manually mount the drive with the correct folder, an unexprienced
user expects the extrnal hard drive to be automaticlly mounted to the required
folder - regardless which of his 5 hard-drives he chooses.

IMO, although I believe to understand the thoughts of the new scheme, I also
believe, there are still lots of trouble following.

Last but not least, it looks like most livefile systems (i.e. kali linux) seem
still use the old style. Maybe it is because on rescue systems people are more
comfortable with it.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards

Hans