Re: Question to new network device names

On Thu 24 Aug 2017 at 13:35:17 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:51:48AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > For you, they wrote the last screenful of
> > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>
> One of the bullet points on that page says:
>
>  * Stable interface names even if you have to replace broken ethernet
>    cards by new ones
>
> But this is clearly an error, unless they meant "replace with a new
> one of exactly the same type as the old one", which is absolutely not a
> common practice.  You may not even be able to *find* another instance of
> the old one, because the manufacturer has silently changed the internal
> chipset whithout changing the model number on the box.  So you end up
> replacing your interface with a different kind, and voila!  Your
> interface name changes.

When I read that line, I assumed that replacing a NIC in the same slot
would give rise to the same enpXsY numbers which would satisfy the
user alluded to earlier when I wrote 'You can find threads here
complaining loud and long about udev's persistent-net rules, one of
the preceding methods "foisted" on us by Debian.' With the latter, the
NICs new MAC would result in a new entry in persistent-net and a name
change to eth(N+1):.

I don't think I have the hardware to try this out; my only loose NICs
are identical twins.

Cheers,
David.