Re: One-line password generator

On Wed 23 Aug 2017 at 09:11:15 +0900, Lck Ras wrote:

> On 08/23/2017 07:31 AM, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 22 Aug 2017 at 15:14:37 -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> > You can recommend what you want but give me
> >
> >  IhaveaMemorablePasswordwhichIwillnotforget!
> >
> > as opposed to
> >
> >  WVAq7XLM4va6e1A4Bb4+Zw
> >
> > You will now explain why the first one will be broken in the next
> > 100 years. I'm past caring after that.
>
> The problem with that kind of password generation is that it leaks in
> unexpected ways, and it can be hard to understand how much it matters.
>
> When you know nothing about a password, it can be quite hard to guess,
> but as you reveal more information about it and its construction (max
> length, character set, format, etc.) it becomes easier and easier.
>
> With randomly generated passwords, you still have an easy-to-understand
> "hard limit" on how easy it will be to guess, unless you start leaking
> individual characters of it, even if you reveal how the password is
> constructed.
>
> In the other hand, with passwords like the ones you described, it can be
> quite difficult to gauge how hard it is to guess, and how much you can
> reveal about it before it being unsafe.

You should never reveal how your passwords are generated. In detail,
that is; in principle there might be no harm done.

> Eg. knowing that you create your passwords like that can make it
> significantly easier for someone else to guess your password, which
> could potentially be dangerous, especially if done by someone who knows
> you well.

Agreed. Account passwords being guessed can surely only happen when the
account owner is known to the perpetrator.

> I personally use diceware, which is relatively memorable and secure
> enough. Revealing the fact that I use diceware makes guessing my
> passwords significantly easier, but it still is very far in the
> "impossible" territory.
>
> I don't think leaving your passwords up to chance is a good idea. You
> should know, not guess, whether it is safe or not.

How does one know

 MyDogHasNoNose.HowDoesItSmell?Terrible!

(old jokes are vey memorable) is a safe password?

--
Brian.