Re: What tool can I use to make efficient incremental backups?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 01:25:50 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> Amanda does not do this "deduplication" that I am aware of.
>
> That is another aspect of data control that does not belong in the job
> discription of what a backup program should do, which is to be a
> repository on some other storage medium besides the day to day operating
> cache, of the data you will need to recover and restore normal
> operations should your main drive become unusable with no signs of ill
> health until its falls over.

That's not the only job of backup programs. I have backups of that
nature (rsnapshot), but I want some critical data to be stored offsite,
in the cloud, as well. This is a very bandwidth and storage limited
context, so deduplication is most welcome, even though there is, of
course, the tradeoff that you mention.

> Backups are so much a personal preferences thing its hard to
define.

> They can't get that amanda keeps records, and if you need to recover the
> home directories of Joe and Jane Sixpack who work in sales, amanda will
> look up the last level 0, restore that, and restore over that from the
> various other level 1 or 2 backups made since until it arrives at and
> recovers anything of theirs in last nights backup. I am backing up 5
> machines here, using 20 to 32 GB worth of space a night on a separate 1
> TB drive thats currently about 78% full.
>
> You can make up your own mind, but to me amanda has been a good thing.

Sounds like a great program.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Celejar