Re: apt-get: Why "Unable to find source package" errors?

On 8/21/17, Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20-08-17, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Example:
>> >
>> >     % sudo apt-get build-dep emacs25
>> >     Reading package lists... Done
>> >     E: Unable to find a source package for emacs25
>> >
>> > I have run `apt-get update` before running the command above, and my
>> > `/etc/apt/sources.list` file contains the following
>> >
>> >     deb  http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free
>> >     deb-src  http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free
>> >
>> >     deb  http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib
>> > non-free
>> >     deb-src  http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib
>> > non-free
>> >
>> >     deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
>> > non-free
>> >     deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
>> > non-free
>> >
>> > What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Your apt-get build-dep command is fine. This could be be a problem
>> with the particular mirror you are using. Try using
>> http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ instead of
>> http://deb.debian.org/debian and see if that works.
>>

> Actually, httpredir.debian.org is unmaintained and all it does is to
> redirect to deb.debian.org. What he does miss is / after debian. So it
> looks like this:
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free

I came in here to ask about the "apt-get update", too.

I was also wondering about the "httpredir" one. There was some
publicity about it becoming "a thing" to do a long time ago. Then I
noticed it disappeared out of my new installations. And then I read
something about it going by the wayside. :)

I tried this command earlier. It failed with the same error as Kynn.
While I was dissecting to see if I could catch some tiny error in
Kynn's sources.list, I smacked myself in the head about mine.

Of course mine wouldn't work. My sources.list was only one line. It
didn't have the deb-src line. Always wondered what that was for, now I
know. I had just been thinking about changing that yesterday so I did
today.

My lines don't have slashes at the end. I didn't do that. Debootstrap
sets it up with no trailing slash. In fact I just got to verify for
100% because I ran the first step in debootstrap'ing Sid again a
couple hours ago.

I just ran the "apt-get build-dep emacs25" command again.. It's
working as expected now... so I'm back to leaning heavy on did you
"apt-get update"? :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey