Re: DVD won't eject after playing DVD

Hi,

Rob van der Putten wrote:
> An other bit stretch 'weirdness':
> After playing a DVD with VLC, the eject button is dysfunctional and I have
> to type 'eject' on the command line to get it to eject.

This is one of the kernel regressions since 2.6. I already experience it
on kernel 3.16 of Jessie. After the block device layer read from the medium,
the tray is locked. This does not happen if one reads by SCSI commands via
ioctl(SG_IO).

Technically, it must be a forgotten PREVENT ALLOW MEDIA REMOVAL setting.
Burn programs or program "eject" send the necessary revoking command before
sending START/STOP UNIT with Eject bit.

(Didn't you experience its counterpart, the inability to wait for the
 drive to become ready after a read attempt loaded the tray automatically ?)

> How do I fix this?

Bring me a kernel developer who is willing to review proposals about
optical drives and has the standing to get them committed.
Then i'd go looking for the exact cause, if it is not known already.
It is futile to start research as long as intellectual dumplings like
  http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=135705061804384&w=2
or
  http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=145666692729714&w=2
are ignored.

As for workarounds, you already found program "eject". (For loading the tray
and waiting long enoug, use a burn program run which inspects the medium.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas