Re: Debian live installer problems

On 2017-08-20 09:59 -0600 Arjun Krishnan <arjunkc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The installer needs to find its own ISO image. The non-live installer
>> will only search by default in the root directories of your
>> file-systems, but not in the subdirectories. Maybe this is the case
>> with the live installer as well. Try putting the ISO image in the root
>> directory (“/”).
>It doesn't seem to be finding the iso even after moving to the root
>directory in the usb drive.
>Which iso did you use? I used the netinst iso, and the hd-media kernel and
>initrd, both of which didnt
>work.

I used the ISO of the first non-live DVD. Make sure you use an ISO of the
same release than the initrd.gz and vmlinuz.

If you want to do a net install, you do not need any ISO. As the Debian
installation manual (which you should have at least glanced over) says:

“If you intend to use the hard drive only for booting and then download
everything over the network, you should download the
netboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz file and its corresponding kernel
netboot/debian-installer/amd64/linux. This will allow you to repartition
the hard disk from which you boot the installer, although you should do so
with care.”

To download and verify the initrd.gz and vmlinuz, use my already given
instructions (I have *not* verified this variation), except that in step
(1) substitute the URIs with
<http://ftp.mx.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/20170615+deb9u1/images/netboot/gtk/debian-installer/amd64/linux>
and
<http://ftp.mx.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/20170615+deb9u1/images/netboot/gtk/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz>
and in step (3), substitute the command given with:

“sed -nE
'/netboot\/gtk\/debian-installer\/amd64\/(initrd.gz|linux)$/{s/^([[:xdigit:]]*).*\/([^/]*)$/\1
\2/;p}' SHA256SUMS | sha256 --strict -c”.

-----
Another way, IIRC, is that you can instead extract the initrd.gz and
vmlinuz from the netinstall ISO (these also do not need the ISO image,
not even the netboot one, again IIRC). I think I did this with Debian 8,
but I do not remember the details.