Re: No ifconfig

On Saturday 19 August 2017 14:57:46 Brian wrote:

> On Sat 19 Aug 2017 at 14:38:57 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > As far as I am concerned, the jury has already given its
> > > conclusions about you both, and I have decided to never give you
> > > any help whatsoever, unless you change your attitude dramatically.
> > > I suspect most helpful contributors on this list have already
> > > silently decided the same, or will do so soon if you continue
> > > insulting the Debian developers.
> >
> > This has already affected my willingness to help people having
> > trouble with network-mangler.
> >
> > For folks with a small SOHO network setup that involves the maximum
> > of 253 or so maximum addresses, the most dependable intermachine
> > method is identical /etc/hosts files, combined with an identical
> > /etc/resolv.conf on all machines.  You then setup an eth0 stanza
> > in /etc/network/interfaces that matches the name assigned to that
> > machine. Interfaces will look something like this:
> > =============
> > auto lo
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > iface lo inet loopback
> > address 127.0.0.1
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > auto eth0
> >
> > # regular network for coyote.den
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.xx.xx
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.xx.xx
> > =================
> >
> > Substituting that machines address in place of the xx.xx
> > Shut down dhcpd as its not needed, nor is network-mangler.
> >
> > And the best part? It Just Works(TM).
> >
> > But I've caught so much static over preaching about a
> > non-network-mangler solution that is 90% less trouble to setup that
> > I have given up speaking up when to me that solution is the ideal
> > solution to their problems.
> >
> > So you can ignore me, and I'll ignore you, until you contradict me,
> > thereby adding to the poor OP's confusion.  Where your expertise
> > exceeds mine, I'll do the same.  Fair?
>
> Which "poor OP" are you referring to? It has been a long thread.

Heck of a good question Brian, it has indeed been a long thread, and my
short term memory fails me.

> > > Anyway, I have no hope that you will understand my position, I
> > > post it to make it clear for other readers. No doubt you will
> > > answer this mail with another useless stunt. Please go ahead.
>
> network-mangler? This demonstrates a disdain for the work put into
> making networking comfortable on Debian. It also probably infers a
> lack of any deep understanding of how the software works.
>
> /etc/hosts files advocated? What is wrong with using avahi-demon?
> This is 2017.

For starters, it seems not to want to use 192.168 addresses very well.  I
run it, but no clue what it does except assign the wrong address to what
it discovers.

But my curiosity bump needed scratching, so I looked at /etc/avahi/hosts,
and the only machine/address it discovered is correct, for my brother
MFC's scanner.local.  The tabloid capable printer in it is also at that
address.  I looked at the manpage for daemon.conf but have not looked at
the file.  It seems to me that if its to be usefull, it should detect
everything in my local class D block. There are from 4 to 6 other
machines here, 4 others minimum.  Why did it not detect them also? If
its to be OOTB a substitute for /etc/hosts, its not doing at all well.

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)