Re: Buster: problem changing partition size on a RAID 5 array

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
The reason its rare is more likely that Linux hasn't been able to boot from mdadm partitions until recently.

IIRC it's been available in Debian since lenny in 2009. But yes, if you began using linux in, say, 1994 or so,
that's "recently".... ;-)

I'm one of those people who see little value in LVM. It just adds complexity without doing anything that a little planning could usually avoid. Of course, I'm not running a large datacentre with the need to frequently reallocate disk space on the fly...

It's hard to overstate just how much flexibility LVM brings to the table in the day job. And if you've done any AIX work, it's basically a port of AIX's LVM, so you already know it. Frankly I use it at home now too, disks are big these days. AND (pet peeve...) you don't need to partition beneath it anymore.