Re: No ifconfig [Was: no /etc/inittab]

On Tuesday 15 August 2017 14:00:50 Brian wrote:

> On Tue 15 Aug 2017 at 13:46:20 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Does   ip addr ; ip -s link   not work for you?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > David.
> >
> > It could I suppose, but thats also an extra 4" of useless fluff on
> > my high res screen.
>
> You really wanted to say "yes" to your problem of two years standing
> being solved, didn't you? But it goes against the grain. :)

I would not go out on that limb and saw it off behind me, but if it had
more labels on the output, it could be helpfull.  For instance what does
this line in its output for eth0 tell me, and where did it get those
numbers?

   inet6 fe80::21f:c6ff:fe62:fcbb/64 scope link

Compared to the ifconfig eth0 output, that looks to be derived from its
MAC address, but how is such a determination thats its a globally unique
address determined? Anyone can cause a MAC address to be spoofed. I am
doing it myself so that I can change routers without loseing my ipv4
address, registered at namecheap.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)