Re: why time in XP is wrong?

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:09:19 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 14/08/2017 à 07:11, arne a écrit :
> >
> > To keep the hardware clock sane and the time correctly
> > displayed by multiple systems they need to agree on which timezone
> > the hardware clock is kept at.
>
> Setting the hardware clock to local time with multiple systems is
> broken if the time zone has daylight saving shifts. It cannot work,
> as each system will apply the shift without knowing another already
> did it.
>
> Windows 7 and later versions support setting the hardware clock to
> UTC through a registry setting. But with Windows XP the cleanest way
> is to use the UTC timezone or disable daylight saving shifts, or use
> NTP on each system to keep the system clock correct.

Even the latter may be a problem. I have a Win8 laptop that I
occasionally boot to Sid, and of course it's an hour out back on Win8.

But it is set to use NTP, however, there seems to be no control over
how often it updates, and it certainly doesn't do it on boot. I always
give up and use the admin password to trigger a sync, as a normal user
can't do it.

This seems to be the most likely answer, basically, add your own
cron-equivalent job to do it independently of the Windows *once* *a*
*week* scheduling.
https://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

--
Joe