Re: customizing systemd config

From: gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 07:04:54PM +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 08/11/2017 04:42 AM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> > I"m trying to recreate under systemd something I had previously cobbled
> > together with shell scripts and init levels under sysvinit.
> >
> > Only a few services ran under init 2, the default set in /etc/inittab,
> > including privoxy and ssh; the rest of the services I wanted running, such
> > as fetchmail, exim4, courier-imap, apache2, etc. would be started at init
> > level 3. Those services required an encrypted volume (actually a RAID that
> > was an encrypted LVM PV for a VG with several volumes) to be configured and
> > mounted before they could be started.
>
> I"ve blogged about this very scenario a while back:
> https://blog.iwakd.de/headless-luks-decryption-via-ssh
>
> Note that I wrote that mainly to explain some details about
> systemd using a specific example, I personally am not actually
> using that kind of setup. For a headless server of mine I use
> full disk encryption (LUKS) for everything except /boot and
> unlock the entire system in the initramfs. I also mention that
> approach in my blog post, but wanted to stress it here again
> because I think that the initramfs-based decryption is the
> better way to do this. For that alternative take a look at:
> https://projectgus.com/2013/05/encrypted-rootfs-over-ssh-with-debian-wheezy/

This not only gave me the understanding I was looking for, but a
new perspective on it as well. Thank you!

> Regards,
> Christian
--Greg

I think your getting off-topic here and hijacking the thread.  Start a "different" one.
I am expecting to see customization of systemd here not some wheezy crap!

I am being sarcastic, don't take it personally!  I recently installed a wheezy on
my pc and for a little while I thought the NOS-valve has hit in my gas-powered old
pc.  WOW!!  Of course that was just a test-bed to see how devuan would transform
a pre-systemd system.  Flawlessly I might say.