Re: When did Debian decide to enable PIE by default?

Le 10/08/2017 à 10:00, tomas@tuxteam.de a écrit :

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 08:22:58PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

Aha, another name for PIC, which I've only been writing code that uses it
for 32 years. Also known as PCR, for Program Counter Relative.  Such
code can be loaded into memory and executed without any patching.

Not exactly. PIC is "position independent code". Shared libraries have
been compiled like that for a long time since (especially under 32 bits)
you never knew where was a hole in memory to mmap the library in.

PIE is "position independent executable": it's about using PIC in the
Executable

Sorry, but I fail to see the difference.
A shared library is executable, and the "code" in PIC is nothing but executable code, isn't it ?