Re: module not loading on startup

On 11/08/17 03:39 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 11/08/2017 à 08:32, Gary Dale a écrit :

I eventually tracked the problem down to a UDEV persistent rule (now deleted) and also the need to modify /etc/network/interfaces to use the name the name of the new NIC (enp5s0 instead of eth0 - since it wasn't carried over in the upgrade from Jessie). However because I installed the Realtek module, the r8169 kernel module isn't automatically loading.

Check files in /etc/modprobe.d/ for some "blacklist r8169" command and comment it out. You may need to rebuild the initramfs with update-initramfs -u.

Thanks. There was a blacklist file for the r8168-dkms module but the line about the r8169 driver was already commented out. I removed it anyway.

I decided to byte the bullet and just add the r8169 to /etc/modules. It's unlikely to ever hurt.